A fantastic opportunity has arisen at the Haynes International Motor Museum in Sparkford, Somerset for the role of Chef. As one of the leading museums and visitor attractions in the South West, with over 135,000 visitors annually, you will be joining a dynamic and engaged team of over 120 staff and volunteers.
The Museum has over 400 vehicles and as a charity it has three core aims: Preservation, Restoration and Education. The Museum also operates several businesses that donate all of their profits to support these charitable aims. Those businesses are:
· Venue Hire: We offer one of the South West’s premier venue hire facilities, hosting conferences, events, exhibitions and functions throughout the year.
· Café 750: our Museum café offers a selection of freshly cooked, local produce as well as cold snacks, pastries and cakes to not only Museum visitors but also customers who come to Café 750 as a stand-alone destination.
· The Venue Hire business and Café 750 are supported by our full time, in-house catering team with full commercial kitchen facilities.
· The Museum Workshop and Restoration Centre: We not only preserve and restore the Museum’s vehicle collection but we also offer those services to a local and international client base of veteran, vintage, classic and modern sports and supercar owners.
· The Museum Shop: The Shop offers a vast selection of automobilia and will shortly be launching an online retail platform.
As a result of continued growth we are looking for a Chef who is a dynamic, collaborative and confident professional with solid, demonstrable experience in a similar role. You will have a methodical approach and you will be passionate about producing good home cooked fresh food.
This is a hands on chef role and you will thrive on producing high quality food in a fresh food kitchen, a passion for baking would be an advantage.
We serve fresh British food in a rural setting within a Museum of national importance. This Chef role will assist the Senior Sous Chef in the creation of well costed and seasonal menus which must be planned and delivered for both café customers and for our Venue Hire offering, which includes a number of large functions for up to 250 guests. The Museum is open 7 days a week, 362 days of the year, the café serves breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea, and the Venue Hire business delivers daytime and evening events and functions both during the week and at weekends.
This is a fast paced environment and we are looking for a talented professional to motivate and lead an existing team, to set exemplary standards of food quality and presentation, which complement the very high standards of service and product we delivered throughout the Museum.
· Produce high quality fresh food
· Assist the Senior Sous Chef to develop and deliver a class leading corporate food offering
· Ensure that you deliver consistently high standards of food to all areas of the Museum
· Assist in the development of creative and innovative menus and special diets
· Share the museums passion for exceeding customers’ expectations
· Develop systems to ensure consistency, service and profitability
· Efficient ordering & stock control
· Food preparation
· Maintaining our health & safety standards and EHO score
Key Skills, Experience and Qualifications
· Excellent organisational skills
· Self-motivated and reliable, with a clear focus on reaching targets on time and on budget
· At least two years' demonstrable experience as a chef working in a high quality establishment
· Good numerical and communication skills, both verbal and written
· Able to work at a rapid pace whilst maintaining attention to detail
· A collaborative approach
· Demonstrable working knowledge of health & safety and food safety
· Comfortable in the demanding working environment of a kitchen during a busy service and able to work calmly and efficiently at all times.
· A self-starter who takes ownership of tasks and responsibilities
· An enthusiasm for cooking and the hospitality industry in general.
· Must have one of the following qualifications or equivalent experience: NVQ level 2 or 3 in professional cookery and possess an intermediate level food safety certificate
· Able to approach problems analytically, develop opportunities and implement innovative solutions
· Own transport will be beneficial due to location.
Hours, Culture and Structure
This is a full time role. Standard hours are based on a 40 hour working week, straight shifts with two days off in seven. The job will require weekend and evening work as business dictates. All staff at the Museum are engaged and supportive with a “nothing is too much trouble” approach. It is vitally important to us that all our staff maintain a healthy work life balance and our culture supports and encourages this ethos.
You will report directly to the Senior Sous Chef and work on a daily basis alongside all areas of the department, Museum and associated Limited Company businesses.
Highly competitive subject to experience.
How to Apply
· A copy of your CV, with your work history in reverse chronological order i.e. your most recent employment first.
· A covering letter outlining clearly how you match the key skills and key tasks listed above (maximum one page size 12 font).
Please note we will only consider candidates with relevant experience.
The closing date for this role is 24th February 2020.
Candidates may be interviewed prior to the stated closing date as the post is available immediately and we wish to find a suitable candidate ASAP. Therefore we strongly encourage interested candidates not to delay their application.
No agencies please