A hugely exciting opportunity has arisen for the role of MOT Tester / Mechanical Technician at the Haynes International Motor Museum in Sparkford, Somerset.
As one of the leading museums and visitor attractions in the South West, with over 125,000 visitors annually, you will be joining a dynamic and engaged team of over 120 staff and volunteers.
The Museum has over 400 vehicles and as a charity it has three core aims: Preservation, restoration and education.
The Museum also operates several businesses that donate all their profits to support these charitable aims; those businesses are:
• The Museum Workshop and Restoration Centre: We not only preserve and restore the Museum’s vehicle collection, but we also offer those services to a local and international client base of veteran, vintage, classic and modern sports and supercar owners.
• Food and Beverage Department: This department operates the very popular museum café, Café 750 as well as supporting the delivery of all Venue Hire events.
• Venue Hire: We offer one of the South West’s premier venue hire facilities, hosting conferences, events, exhibitions and functions throughout the year.
• The Museum Shop: The Shop offers a vast selection of automobilia and recently launched an online retail platform.
The post holder will report to the Workshop & Restoration Centre Manager.
The Mechanical Technician at Haynes International Motor Museum (HIMM) will be responsible for carrying out MOT’s, servicing and light repairs to museum and client’s vehicles to the highest standard.
The post holder will be a qualified MOT tester, and hold at least a level 3 qualification in light vehicle repair. They will be expected to be able to diagnose and rectify both simple and complex mechanical and electrical faults.
They will be able to work with both modern cars including diagnostics as well as older classic cars, however the balance of work will predominantly involve working on modern, well maintained cars.
The successful candidate will work in collaboration with the Workshop Controller to develop and constantly review time scales and identify areas which need communicating to the client.
The ability to estimate time scales for jobs is desirable but not essential.
The Workshop & Restoration Centre has a culture of mentoring, ownership, zero blame and mutual professional respect. You will also ensure that all clients and potential clients receive a polite, professional and efficient service, maintaining all the HIMM brand pillars. You will be joining the Workshop & Restoration Centre at a truly exciting time of expansion and this role will be both a challenging and hugely rewarding opportunity for the right candidate.
The successful applicant will have demonstrative experience of delivering first rate work in a timely and efficient manner.
Main Roles and Responsibilities
• Carry out MOT’s to both Museum and client vehicles of all ages
• Service and maintain museum and client vehicles
• Diagnose and rectify simple and complex vehicle faults
• Be able to carry out modern vehicle diagnostics to identify faults with electrical systems i.e. engine management, ABS, air bag and other comfort systems on modern vehicles
• Keep to job timelines, and keep accurate time records
• Co-ordinate and communicate with internal other sections of the Workshop & Restoration Centre when required
• Be able to converse with clients from time to time when required
• Immaculate housekeeping skills
• Clean and tidy appearance Hours
• This is a full time position based on working a five day week (Monday – Friday). Standard hours apply based on a 40 hour working week.
• There may be from time to time a requirement to work outside of your normal working hours and this will be paid as time off in lieu or paid overtime.
A very competitive salary commensurate with experience will be offered.
How to Apply
Please submit the following by email to Samantha Earl on; email@example.com:
• A cover letter outlining why you think you would be suitable for this role (maximum one page font size 12)
• A copy of your CV, with your work history in reverse chronological order i.e. your most recent employment first.
Please also indicate your current notice period. Recruitment Process
The closing date for the applications is Friday 25th September 2020.
Applicants will be assessed on an ongoing basis and should be prepared to attend a first round interview prior to the closing date. Please note, we anticipate filling the role prior to the closing date, therefore we strongly advise all candidates to submit their applications as soon as possible. Please note we will only consider candidates with relevant experience. No agencies.