An exciting opportunity has arisen for the role of Workshop Assistant in the Workshop & Restoration Centre at the Haynes International Motor Museum in Sparkford, Somerset. As one of the leading museums and visitor attractions in the South West, with over 125,000 visitors annually, you will be joining a dynamic and engaged team of over 120 staff and volunteers.
The Museum has over 400 vehicles and as a charity it has three core aims: Preservation, restoration and education. The Museum also operates several businesses that donate all of their profits to support these charitable aims; those businesses are:
• The Museum Workshop & Restoration Centre: We not only preserve and restore the Museum’s vehicle collection but we also offer those services to a local and international client base of veteran, vintage, classic and modern sports car owners
• Venue Hire: We offer one of the South West’s premier venue hire facilities, hosting conferences, events, exhibitions and functions throughout the year
• The Museum Shop: The Shop offers a vast selection of automobilia and will shortly be launching an online retail platform
The Workshop Assistant will report to the Workshop & Restoration Centre Manager.
The Workshop Assistant at Haynes International Motor Museum (HIMM) Workshop & Restoration Centre is a very varied role where no two days will be the same. The role will assist the team to deliver exceptional customer service and quality of work that has become expected from our exceptional client base.
The role will assist in all 5 departments of the Workshop & Restoration Centre carrying out odd jobs to help maintain a high level of efficiency from our vehicle technicians.
The Workshop & Restoration Centre has a culture of mentoring, ownership, zero blame and mutual professional respect. This is a truly exciting time to be joining a successful and growing business unit and the role of Workshop Assistant is a challenging and hugely rewarding opportunity for the right candidate.
Job description Duties & Responsibilities
• General house-keeping – maintaining a high level of tidiness to ensure the workshops are looking their best at all times.
• Fork Lift driving
• Drop off and collection of customer vehicles – this will include trailer driving.
• Assisting technicians when they need another pair of hands.
• Tyre fitting
• Collection and delivery of parts – Nation wide
• Valeting customers cars
• Organising the workshop yard
• Generally handy man duties
• Any other task required to ensure the smooth operation of the Workshop & Restoration Centre business.
Key skills and Experience Required
• Able and willing to work out of hours if required; time off in lieu or paid overtime will be given (Essential)
• Experience in a similar job role, preferably in the motor trade (Desirable)
• Comfortable with IT (Essential)
• Clean driving licence with the ability to drive with a trailer (Essential)
• Fork Lift licence (Desireable)
• Excellent communication skills, including written and spoken English, and the ability to deal with clients in a professional manner (Essential)
• Smart turnout at all times (Essential)
A very competitive salary commensurate with experience will be offered.
Hours, Culture and Structure
This is a full time role. Standard hours are 08:00 – 17:00 and the job may require some over time but this will not be frequent. The Workshop & Restoration Centre Manager has an open door policy and promotes team work and good communication within the team.
You will report directly to the Workshop & Restoration Centre Manager.
How to Apply
Please submit the following by email to Samantha Earl: email@example.com :
• A copy of your CV, with your work history in reverse chronological order i.e. your most recent employment first
• A covering letter outlining clearly how you match the key tasks listed above (maximum one page font size 12)
• Please also indicate your current notice period
The closing date for applications is 30th April 2021. Applicants will be assessed on an ongoing basis and should be prepared to attend a first round interview prior to the closing date.
Please note we will only consider candidates with relevant experience. No agencies please.