This van started life as a G.P.O. mail van. Three basic types of ‘Minor’ van were used. The Mail Van was known as the ‘35 cu.ft.’ van, with a coach-built body finished in red. The Internal Engineers’ Van and the External Telephone Engineers’ Van were both of a similar design, but painted green. Something like 4,000 ‘Engineer’ vans and 3,700 ‘Mail’ vans were used by the G.P.O., none of which are known to have continued in service much after 1948.
The chassis were purchased from Morris Motors, Cowley and the bodies are believed to have been constructed by Duple Bodies and Motors Limited of Hendon.
This vehicle had been with its previous owner, Mr Ward of Bromsgrove, for many years. During that time it had been in daily use as a garage runabout, collecting spares for "modern" cars.
Having bought the vehicle, Haynes International Motor Museum undertook a full restoration in our own ‘Morris’ workshop garage, which was situated inside the museum at the time.